Have you heard that monstera plants are poisonous? But are they really poisonous or toxic?
Can they harm you? Find out below
Are Monstera Plants Poisonous
No, Monstera plants are not poisonous to humans. They are considered safe to handle and have no known toxic effects when ingested. However, as with any plant, it is possible to have an allergic reaction to the sap or leaves, so it is always best to be cautious when handling the plant.
Additionally, the plant’s leaves, stem, and sap contain calcium oxalate crystals which can cause skin irritation and itching in some people, and ingestion can cause mouth and throat irritation, difficulty swallowing, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
While Monstera plants are not toxic to humans, they can be toxic to pets if ingested. If you have pets in your home, it’s best to keep the plant out of their reach. If a pet does ingest a Monstera plant, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately, as the symptoms may be severe.
In addition, when growing Monstera plants, it is important to keep them in a location that is out of reach of children, as they may be inclined to put the leaves in their mouths.
Also, it is important to note that Monstera plants can be invasive if grown in the wild and can cause damage to native plants.
Overall, Monstera plants are not poisonous to humans, but it is important to handle them with care and keep them away from children and pets. If you experience any symptoms after handling or ingesting the plant, it’s best to seek medical attention.
Is Monstera Poisonous to Touch
The plant’s leaves, stem, and sap contain calcium oxalate crystals which can cause skin irritation and itching in some people.
It’s important to keep in mind that all plants have different sensitivities and reactions to different people. Some people may be more sensitive to the sap or leaves of the Monstera plant than others.
If you notice any signs of irritation, redness or itching after touching the plant, it’s best to wash your hands and avoid further contact with the plant.
It’s also important to note that when handling the plant, it’s best to wear gloves, as the sap can be sticky and hard to remove from your hands. Additionally, it’s best to avoid touching your eyes or face after handling the plant, as this can cause additional irritation.
Overall, while Monstera plants are not toxic to touch, it’s important to handle them with care and be mindful of any potential allergic reactions or irritation. If you experience any symptoms after touching the plant, it’s best to seek medical attention.
Symptoms of Monstera Poisoning
If ingested, Monstera plants can cause some symptoms of poisoning. The symptoms of poisoning can vary depending on the amount of the plant consumed and the individual person.
Some possible symptoms of Monstera plant poisoning include:
- Mouth and Throat Irritation: Eating or ingesting Monstera plant can cause irritation and burning in the mouth and throat.
- Difficulty Swallowing: The irritation in the mouth and throat can make it difficult to swallow food or liquids.
- Nausea and Vomiting: Eating or ingesting Monstera plant can cause nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea: Consuming the plant can cause diarrhea
- Stomach Pain: Consuming the plant can cause stomach pain
- Itching: The plant’s leaves, stem, and sap contain calcium oxalate crystals which can cause itching, redness, and rash on the skin.
It’s important to note that these symptoms may not be immediately evident, it is possible that symptoms may take a few hours to appear.
If you suspect someone has ingested a Monstera plant or is experiencing symptoms of poisoning, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible, as the symptoms can be severe.
It’s also worth noting that not everyone will have the same symptoms and the severity of the symptoms can vary from person to person.
What You Should Do If Poisoned
If you suspect that you or someone else has been poisoned by a Monstera plant, it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. The following are some steps you should take:
Call Poison Control: If you suspect that someone has been poisoned, call your local poison control center. The experts at poison control will be able to provide specific guidance on how to proceed.
Gather information: If possible, gather information about the plant, the amount consumed, and the time of consumption. This information will be important for the medical professionals who will be treating the person.
Remove any remaining plant material: If the person has ingested the plant, remove any remaining plant material from their mouth, and rinse their mouth out with water.
Monitor symptoms: Watch for symptoms of poisoning, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing, and stomach pain.
Follow medical advice: The medical professionals will determine the best course of action, which may include providing activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins, inducing vomiting, or providing fluids to prevent dehydration.
It’s important to note that time is of the essence when it comes to treating poisonings, so it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Also, it is important to keep the Monstera plant out of reach for children and pets and to handle it with care.
What Parts of a Monstera Plant is Poisonous
All parts of the Monstera plant, including its leaves, stem, and sap, contain calcium oxalate crystals which can cause symptoms of poisoning if ingested.
The plant’s leaves, stem, and sap can also cause skin irritation and itching in some people. The sap is also known to be sticky, which can be hard to remove from hands or other surfaces. It is best to handle the plant with care, and avoid ingesting any part of it.
Is Monstera Plants Poisonous to Kids
Monstera plants are not considered to be toxic to kids. However, as with any plant, it is possible for some children to have an allergic reaction to the sap or leaves.
Additionally, the plant’s leaves, stem, and sap contain calcium oxalate crystals which can cause skin irritation and itching in some kids. If a child ingests any part of the Monstera plant, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately, as the symptoms can be severe.
It’s important to keep in mind that children may be inclined to put leaves in their mouths and to keep the plant out of reach of children. It’s also important to supervise children when they are around the plant and to teach them not to ingest any part of it.
If you notice any symptoms of irritation, redness or itching on your child after touching the plant, it’s best to wash their hands and avoid further contact with the plant.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Monstera deliciosa (also known as the Swiss cheese plant) is known to be toxic if ingested in large quantities. However, there are other Monstera species that are not considered to be toxic. Some examples include:
1- Monstera adansonii (also known as the “Monkey Mask” or “Monkey Tail”)
2- Monstera obliqua
3- Monstera siltepecana
4- Monstera standleyana
5- Monstera friedrichsthalii
It’s always a good idea to research the specific species of any plant you are considering bringing into your home, and to consult with a professional if you have any concerns about its toxicity.
Some species of Monstera plants are considered to be edible and are used as a delicacy in some parts of the world. The most well-known edible species is Monstera deliciosa, also known as “Fruit Salad Plant” or “Ceriman,” which is native to Central and South America.
The unripe fruit, which is green and has a similar appearance to a pinecone, is often eaten when it is still firm and has a taste similar to a blend of pineapple, banana, and coconut.
Another edible species is Monstera adansonii also called “Five holes plant” or “African breadfruit” is found in West Africa and has a similar taste to the deliciosa.
It’s important to note that the fruit of Monstera species should only be consumed when fully ripe and cooked as they contain oxalates which can cause itching and burning when consumed in excess. Additionally, it’s also important to make sure that the plant hasn’t been treated with any pesticides or fertilizers before consuming.
It’s always best to err on the side of caution and avoid consuming any parts of a plant unless you are certain it is safe to eat, and to consult with a healthcare professional or a nutritionist if you have any concerns.